The Sorcerer And The White Snake (2011) Overview

I was just randomly surfing on youtube when I came across The Sorcerer and the White Snake (2011) ft Jet Li, Eva Huang, Raymond Lam, Charlene Choi and Wen Zhang. So then I decided to watch it. Haha with high expectation...little was gained :P

-For me, the biggest issue with the movie is the lack of focus on the main couple's love. This is supposed to be a tragic love story....but yet, it lacked the heartache. Reasons for that? Flat characterization and too much was focus on Jet Li's fights...more so than the love story.
-Personally don't like the kind of movies with so much effects....but I guess it was fine in here.
-There were barely any character development in here...and to get me started on the characters themselves...argh.
-Jet Li as Abott Fahai. His monk turned out differently than I had expected. Compared to the other versions where this role is mainly depicted as evil, Jet Li's monk is much more humane. He is rather considerate and do talk some sense, but for this reason, it turned Eva Huang's character, the white snake, into a rather selfish person. In the original, I'd pity the white snake, but in here...I didn't really care for her that much.
-Eva Huang as the white snake. Like stated above, I found this character selfish and it annoyed me sooooo much how she kept on insisting to flood the temples. I was fine with her before and after....but the flooding...argh! irritated me! She need some sense put back into her! On the other hand, though annoying at that part, she is not so bad in the other parts. But overall, isn't she a pretty flat character?
-Raymond Lam as Xu Xian. Um...yah. Bland. On the up side, I did like how he isn't like the other Xu Xian(s) in the other versions. but eh..
-Charlene Choi as the Green Snake. Her parts are my favourite!! Haha I don't regret watching the movie is mainly because of her and Neng Ren(Wen Zhang). A character with a bit more personality then the rests and therefore outshines the others.
-Wen Zhang as Neng Ren is cute with the Green Snake. He's my fav character, second to Green Snake :)

Thoughts on some scenes:
-Fahai's battle with the demon in the red. I quite like this part because of the scenery shown and the color contrast between the demon and the setting. White blizzard with a lady in red, that was cool :)
-Any scene of the Green Snake was enjoyable, especially when she's with Neng Ren. Haha it was hilarious when she showed him how to be a demon. Lols so cute :)
-My favourite scene between Green Snake and Neng Ren is definitely their last scene together. Green Snake went of saying, "I never want to love anyone as she(White Snake) loved him." leaving Neng Ren. It was so sad!!! Though it was never mentioned that they liked each other, but it still was somewhat initiated right? I like them more than our main couple :)
-White Snake and Xu Xian. Hmm...is it weird that I feel nothing for the couple? The only scene I really liked of them was the one where they got separated by the sandstorm, most credits given to the tears and the music that managed to soften my heart a little.

0 comments:

Post a Comment