Queens of Diamonds and Hearts Overview

Did a quick review before I forget everything! :)

Queens of Diamonds and Hearts was enjoyable to watch but definitely won't affect anybody that do not wishes to watch it. Overall...the series was rather pointless. *sigh* I laughed here and there but towards the middle...I could barely remember anything that had happened in the beginning. The comedy wasn't exactly my cup of tea either...So yah...definitely not recommended but it could be something relaxing to watch if you have the time.

Roger Kwok as Emperor of the Chai State
Words are insignificant in comparison to real actions. These words directly quotes what I think of the King of Chai. I have nothing more to say on this guy -.-

As for the actor himself, I prefer Roger in...non-comedic roles. In fact, I enjoyed watching him the most when he and Mo Yim (Fala Chen) switched souls because he had a more mature character.....was quite upset to see them switching back again after that. Roger need to step out of these roles and take on the serious roles that I loved him in :)

Fala Chen as Chung Mo Yim
Smart and capable but the role did not manage to shine.

Many complained that Fala Chen is too pretty for this role. Um..I somewhat agree, but mostly because of her smile. Out of all the tvb actresses, I think she has the brightest smile that completely stands out, and being so just outshined the "suppose to be gorgeous" Ying Chun (Sharon Chan). Not to mention the way Sharon also had more noticeable make-up on her face, while Fala's was a bit more natural....reflecting a more genuine beauty.

Fala was actually quite funny imitating King Chai and Ying Chun. lols

Sharon Chan as Ha Ying Chun
Whiny and pouty. Though I understand Ying Chun is suppose to act all girly but...somewhat Sharon went a bit too far with her portrayal. Ying Chun's character development was also very inconsistence and quite a headache to watch seeing her changing from good to bad (not "bad" but...eh?) throughout the entire series. Quite frustrating actually...

Overall, I think Sharon did fine as a whiny concubine, but I thought her acting was a bit weak when she was required to be a bit more emotional (especially when she lost her child). It is quite a pity that her character serves no other purpose other than seducing the king though. I would've liked it more if the character wasn't so....stupid (is that word a bit harsh???)...but instead a bit more on the evil side. Seeing foolish characters mouthing off really frustrates me -.- Not to mention it was not only one...but two. *cough*KingChai*cough* Entertaining at first...but it just becomes irritating when they repeatedly do it.

I'm just going to talk about Raymond Cho here too: I liked his first appearance into the series since his character is courageous, but not hot-tempered and in fact is a fair a just man. I was actually really looking forward to more of him, but unfortunately his character was not as interesting...rather bland and dull...loosing all the fire that we saw in him before.

As for the story between Ying Chun (Sharon Chan) and Chik Yan (Raymond Cho) was so so. I wasn't that interested....beside when they played that instrument (thingy..). I love the sound that it made! :D


The rest of the cast: Oscar Leung, Louis Yuen, Koni Lui, Ben Wong, Yoyo Chen, Bella Lam blah blah blah.


They made a lovable supporting crew. My favourite definitely goes to Oscar Leung. This fine actor is finally getting the recognition he deserves! Even though his role is small in here, he made the best out of it and I absolutely adored him! Haha even when Oscar wasn't suppose to be funny, he managed to be funny :D His pairing with Bella Lam was also very sweet....but sadly lacked development :/

Bella Lam is a newcomer who surprisingly got a big role in here. This is only my second time seeing her (first being in Lives of Omission), but I am already liking this girl. Her fresh and bubbly face fits the image of the young princess :) On a side note, Bella looks quite different in the ancient look compared to the modern pictures I've seen her in.


A scene that I thought was quite cute. Even though Oscar plays as a righteous man who will stand up to any injustices, he is still a scholar and as we often know, scholars are quite weak :P So while trying to protect that Princess (Bella), he was beaten up. lols so cute! Though he did not have the strength, his determination and willingness to take a stand to protect her was indeed very sweet. Haha if it was me, I'd fall for him too :P


Louis Yuen and Koni Lui made a dorky/fun couple to see. Haha their obvious differences in terms of looks and personalities is quite adorable. As usual, Louis was enjoyable to watch and Koni was also nice in her first ancient series. Koni actually looks quite pretty in her ancient attire even though I still prefer her in modern series more....her heights differences with the rest of the cast really stood out. Haha I kinda laughed seeing her and Fala standing next to each other :)


Not much comment on Ben Wong and Yoyo Chen, but like usual, Ben's acting cannot be doubted. I just did not find that much interest for his character, Lord Shun...and I was just kind of confuse with how he treated his siblings. I did not question the way he acted towards King Chai (Roger Kwok) because...First, King Chai was imprisoned for quite a long time so it's not unusual that he did not develop a brother bond for him. Second, even though King Chai was not "mean"....he was a complete idiot that thinks everybody should glorify him. If I was Lord Shun, I would hate such an egotistic person too. On the other hand, why did King Chai have a better relationship with Princess Cheung (Bella Lam), when Lord Shun is supposedly the one who grew up with her? That is what I was confuse about, since the series rarely showed Lord Shun and the Princess together...


Beauty is not the most important because sooner or later, it will fade away. It is our virtue that will live on forever. Though this theme statement was addressed in the series, it lacked a connection/impact on the audience (aka me).

Beauty VS Virtue
When I first read spoilers about the switching souls, I simply shook my heads and could only imagine the disastrous outcome it will bring to the series. Turns out I am wrong? The switch was not bad and we got to see the characters in each other's shoes. It was especially interesting to see Ying Chun and Mo Yim switching bodies, which had let King Chai see what was not visible to him before....

Ying Chung is now in Mo Yim's body, making King Chai realize what he loved about her before was mainly her face and did not noticed her flaws in character. Finally...after 15 episodes, he FINALLY got it. *sigh* I can now let out a sigh of relief!

Though I may ridicule King Chai's blind eye, the same issue stays true for people in the real world too doesn't it? Even though looks aren't everything, it realistically remains important for everybody...(as much as I dislike to admit it). We should just keep in mind that a level up from physical looks, the greater importance lies in our virtues/personalities. Something short-term vs. long-term.


Chung Mo Yim or Ha Ying Chun?
Anybody in the right mind would choose Chung Mo Yim...duh! But if I was Mo Yim, would I choose to stay with a husband that had decided to kill me? Um...no thanks....I would just box him up and ship him back to Ying Chun :P It's not the fact that he is useless that irritates me, because no one is perfect and a couple is suppose to help support each other.....BUT what I was upset in was how he did not trust in Mo Yim. Trust is essential in a relationship....just like water is to us!!


Trust?
We can see that Mo Yim loves King Chai alot...and they went through alot of things together. Sadly...in the end King Chai made a rash decision that puts a test on their relationship. He did not trust her and went as far as ordering to kill Mo Yim. If you were Mo Yim, can you forgive King Chai so easily?

He might've hurt her before (giving all of his attention to Ying Chun, disliking her face etc)...but this one is by far, probably the worst. If I was Mo Yim...I would not be able to forgive him (but that does not mean that I'll stop loving him). It's obvious she's very much in love with him and that cannot just disappear overnight....but instead...I'd imagine her rather heart broken, disappointed and will lose all faith in this man.

I am actually very unhappy how Mo Yim did manage to forgive King Chai so easily in the end (due to some heart tattoos). I just can't imagine how one can forgive so easily....even if you can forgive, can you truly forget? If only that can happen in real life....I'm personally the kind of person who can forgive a mistake, but will never manage to forget it......especially if it really hurt at that time. The trust will just have take time to mend again...but a very, very long time.


Ending Thoughts - Conclusion
Enough yapping, I would just like to say...I did not like the ending and would like to share two comments....

1. King Chai should not be forgiven so easily (would be nicer to see them reunite when both are in their 80's....proving a long-lasting love and King Chai's remorse).

2. Ying Chun...um, some say she shouldn't end with King Chai but I disagree to that. She may have done wrong...but it is evidental that she also love King Chai as well. On other hand, even though it didn't show if King Chai truly loves her...they still shared a relationship and I do not believe he will be heartless enough to abandon her.

BONUS - A Highlight for ME
Beside Oscar Leung, the background music is one of the few reasons why I liked this series! All the music used are from old series (The Legendary 4 Aces etc)!!! *sigh* Brought back good memories D; Old flashbacks of the series would continuously pop up in my head...and made me re-watch some of those old series!

MORE PICTURES...mostly of Bella and Oscar because I loved them way to much :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment